Gateway course management software
Notes concerning the latest changes
Latest changes to Worsfold Software’s GATEWAY Course Management software
Version 2.1.35 Released 1st May 2017
1. The button to Remove a Logo from a document now works.
2. There is a new button under Document Design which enables you to duplicate an existing document. (This is useful as any logo and its position is duplicated too).
3. A recent version caused the list of documents to display zeros after a document was selected. It's all better now.
4. There is a new checkbox beside the Course Cost so that you can tick if it has been paid. (This has been included as a new code in the document design for courses)
5. The Gender by Ethnicity Analysis now picks up students taking courses for which there are no standard attached.
Version 2.1.33 Released 5th April 2017
1. Somehow the year 2015 had been hardwired into the routine which prepares the students' placements for export to the TEC spreadsheet. As a result, ALL placements were being rejected as starting AFTER 04/07/2015!!! It is now looking at the year at the top of the main screen.Version 2.1.32 Released 3rd April 2017
1. The placement employer was displaying the employer's physical address rather then their postal address.
2. A couple of schools have experienced problems getting their document logos to position correctly. As a result I've changed the way logos are positioned. You now use four buttons to specify exactly where the logo shosuld be : left, right, up and down rather than left, centre or right.
Version 2.1.31 Released 22nd March 2017
1. A fault in the financial summary (under Configuration) has been fixed. A total was being doubled if you made changes to overhead costs and then viewed the summary. It was always correct if you went straight to it but not is=f you made some changes to overheads first.
2. The selected row on the tables of students' standards are now highlighted to make it easier for you to enter results.
3. When adding standards you are now asked if you wish to have the previous provider (if any) filled down to the new standards..Version 2.1.29 Released 2nd March 2017
1. Printing of multiple documents now works. Previously you could not select more than one.
2. The Students Placement Agreement (TEC) had several errors on it, e.g. ALL students were males!
3. Updating data from The Edge now picks up just the first ethnicity. The Edge had started exporting multiple ethnicities.
4. Margins for the TEC documents have been now hardwired to zero. Some schools were reporting large left margins.
Version 2.1.26 Released 24 January 20171. The hyphens in the TEC Oucomes (eg have been changed to the longer versions used by the TEC so that
the spreadsheet no longer rejects them - even though they look almost exactly the same.
2. The Gateway Agreement (TEC) document has been reworked to improve it.
3. Several fields have ben added to User-Defined Lists - under Placements.
Version 2.1.25 Released 9 December 2016
1. The process of copying a placement from one student to another has been fixed.
2. The entry for students' standards and credits, taken and gained, in User-defined lists was not working correctly.
3. Pre-designed lists No 3 was recognising standards as duplicates incorrectly.
Version 2.1.24 Released 6 December 2016
A small fault in a predesigned list (no credits showing) has been fixed
Version 2.1.23 Released 5 December 2016
1. Ethnicities have been reworked to incorporate the TEC set rather than the MOE set. Users of
2. The TEC Standards return was not picking up standards which belonged to courses which were
3. The Yes/No toggle on student course costs now works.
4. The pull-down menus for cost categories on placements and courses now have 'type-ahead',
5. I've modified the process of selecting a photograph slightly to make it easier and modified
6. 'Vehical' is now spelt 'Vehicle' in six places! Ouch!
7. On the User-defined Lists screen the field selector would not scroll to the bottom. It does now.
Version 2.1.22 Released 26 November 2016
1. Ethnicities have been reworked to incorporate the TEC set rather than the MOE set. Users of
2. The Yes/No toggle on student course costs now works.
3. The pull-down menus for cost categories on placements and courses now have 'type-ahead'
4. I've modified the process of selecting a photograph slightly to make it easier.
5. 'Vehical' is now spelt 'Vehicle' in six places! Ouch!
Version 2.1.20 Released 23 November 2016
A couple of nasty bugs were introduced when I released the big lot of changes in v18.
1. Changing to a different year (and making that the default year) caused the program
2. Employer categories longer than thirty characters were causing a problem.
Version 2.1.19 Released 22 November 2016
I broke one of the Pre-designed lists - the third one down. Darn... It's fixed now.
Version 2.1.18 Released 20 November 2016The main changes in this release are :
1. For Other Assessments 'Y = Passed' has been changed to 'P = Passed'. This is to avoid confusion with 'Y = Failed to sit' for standards.
2. Students may now take the same standard more than once across different placements/courses. The result, however, will only every be counted ONCE in analyses and exports.
If you attempt to add a course to a student, the adding of which would result in duplicate standards, then you will be warned that this will happen if you proceed.
Where students DO take the same standard twice then the various reports will have these highlighted. The number of credits taken will only count the credits for that standard ONCE and, if both are achieved, then the credits gained will only count them ONCE.
3. Via Pre-designed lists, you may now print Employer lists BY CATEGORY. A new checkbox allows you to select this option.
Several small but unpleasant faults have been fixed...
1. ALL course standards are now included in both the Voc. Pathways display and the TEC Results export.
2. Other costs under Overheads are now loading correctly and you can remove unwanted costs correctly.
3. A couple of long Placement Areas were causing a crash.
4. If a placement standard had a provider specified then, when other standards were added a crash occurred.
5. The assessor of a course standard was not coming in when the course was added to a student.
Version 2.1.15 Released 01 November 2016A crash was occuring when adding placement standards where a previously added standard had a provider specified.
Version 2.1.15 Released 01 November 2016A few minor changes since version 12 :
1. The Old TEC report was not listing income details.
2. One school reported missing credits on placement standards. An automatic routine now makes sure that these are not missing.
3. A fault in displaying a student's courses, under one particular situation, has been fixed. This was causing blank standards to be attached to students. An automatic routine now makes sure that these are removed if found.
4. Minor changes to user-document entries
Version 2.1.12 Released 01 November 2016
1. A third new document component has been added to student fields. You can now include a list of placements and courses and the same list including standards, either just those achieved or all standards.
Version 2.1.11 Released 31 October 2016
1. The process of changing a date on the costs entry screen has been corrected.
Version 2.1.10 Released 30 October 2016
1. Two new document components have been added to student fields. You can now include on
If you include Placement or Course specific fields in a document (selected from the Placement or
Version 2.1.9 Released 28 October 20161. You can now alter dates on placement and course costs. Costs re now saving correctly. Previously, it depended where you clicked after entering a cost as to whether or not it save correctly.
2. On User-Defined lists, the employers' physical and postal addresses were switched.
Version 2.1.8 Released 26 October 2016
1. The layout of the Placements screen has been modified to allow for more room for standards when using a higher screen resolution.
Version 2.1.7 Released 25 October 2016
1. A fault when clicking Yes or No for Paid or Completed on standards has been fixed.
Version 2.1.6 Released 25 October 2016
1. At the request of several schools, a popup screen has been added to allow you to specify the margins
2. The Costs Summary report was not reporting 'Yes' when student placement costs had been paid.
3. The Placement Agreement (New) has been modified slightly to improve its appearance and a new
4. A fault was occurring when you add standards to a placement by typing in the number and version.
Version 2.1.5 Released 19 October 2016
1. The utility to cross check credits on standards has been added to Utilities / Compact. It's at the bottom of the screen.
2. Following a request from one school, the Courses screen has been reworked to provide more space for courses and standards.
Version 2.1.4 Released 17 October 2016
1. The Progress Report is now retporting correctly. (Fuller details of results can be obtained via Printing/Pre-designed lists/Gender and Ethnicity Analysis.
2. After selecting standards, your selection is now retained fr other placements, unless you click the new 'Clear selection' button.
3. The process of attaching standards to placements (and courses) has been attaching the wrong credits. This has been fixed, and a on-time-only test as you enter the program will check and insert the correct credits.
Version 2.1.3 Released 13 October 2016
An unpleasant fault was discovered which caused problems with document printing. This has been fixed.
The autobackup system, which makes a copy of your database, each type you exit from the program, ha caused the database to become corrupted in two schools. Fortunately BOTH schools had independent backups of their databases. Hopefully, that nightmare has been removed for good, as has the autobackyup routine which was causing it. Many thanks to those who helped me to find that one.
The max/min and exit buttons have been restored to the top right-hand corner of the main screen so that you can minimize the program if you so wish.
Version 2.1.2 Released 11 October 2016
The inevitable has occurred. A couple of small faults have appeared in the new version of Gateway. Most will not experience them unless a) you have a apostrophe in a Placement title or you are running across a networked server.
Version 2.1.1 Released 10 October 2016
Please note that this update will NOT install a working copy of the new version. To obtain the new version please contact Worsfold Software Ltd. The cost of the update is $99 + GST
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Latest changes to Worsfold Software’s GATEWAY Course Management software
Version 1.11.12 Released 6th July 2016
Well, darn! The TEC export routine had been handling the Industry Types perfectly well but, somewhere along the way, I made a small change which stopped them working. (Two of them were being truncated somewhat). Very Celever! It's fixed now. Some student with ethnicity 'European' were not being treated correctly either but they are now.
Version 1.11.10 Released 31st May 2016
The routine to copy student data to the TEC spreadsheet has been modified to work in 2016. (Very useful change!)Version 1.11.9 Released 14th February 2016
A change has been made to allow for schools who have switched to MUSAC's eb-based SMS, The Edge. Configuration now allows you to indicate that you are using The Edge.
Also, the routin to export stardards results to the TEC Results Spreadhseet was not displaying standards attached to courses on the SCREEN. It WAS, however, including them in the spreadsheet itself.
Version 1.11.8 Released 31st January 2016
A small change has been made to the Vocational Pathways display routine for those using Kamar. This is because the routine extracts students' standards results from the Kamar export, worsfold.csv. Since this export only contains the CURRENT years' results, if you export a fresh file for 2016 then none of the 2015 results are in that file and the Pathways display shows a distinct lack of results! The program now checks for standards attached to the selected placement and any attached courses. Much more betterer!
Version 1.11.7 Released 14th December 2015
This version contains the new export of data to the second TEC Report spreadsheet - that via which students' results are submitted. It functions in exactly the same way that the first TEC export works - by transferring the data to the computer clipboard from where it may be pasted into the Report spreadsheet.
A video demonstrating the first process may be found on YouTube at : http://youtu.be/cH2wFoerT0c
Please note that only those standards which have been achieved (or better) and are attached to placements will be exported to the spreadsheet. This will include any standards attached to COURSES which are, in turn, attached to placements. To attach a course to a placement, go to the student's Courses screen, select the course, and, via a pulldown near the top of the screen, select the student's placement to which the course is attached. Any achieved standards in that course will subsequently be included in the data collection for the TEC spreadsheet.
Version 1.11.5 Released 30th November 2015
A change has been made to the Vocational Pathways display to EXCLUDE Level 1 standards from contributing to Vocational Pathways. Even though they are listed in the TEC spreadsheet of contributing standards, they are NOT counted when evaluating a student's performance in the Vocational Pathways at Level 2.
Version 1.11.4 Released 24th November 2015
A fault in the students' Vocational Pathways display, where some standards may have been included twice, has been repaired.
Version 1.11.3 Released 9th November 2015
A fault in a full cost analysis report has been repaired.Version 1.11.2 Released 4th November 2015
A number of minor issues to do with the TEC Report 'Cut and Paste' process have been identified and fixed.Version 1.11.1 Released 29th October 2015
This release contains three new fields of placement detail required for the 2015 End-of-year TEC Report Spreadsheet. These are :
Outcome - Employment
These are to be found on a new tab on the student's placement screen (at the right hand end of the row of tabs begining 'Costs')
These items are also now included in the export process used to prepare your data for copying and pasting to the TE Report Spreadsheet.
A few minor other adjustments have also been made, including a couple of spelling corrections. Please let me know asap if you find an further such annoyances.
Version 1.10.12 Released 28th August 2015
A fault was causing the program to crash when saving details of a newly created course.
Version 1.10.11 Released 18th July 2015
A couple of minor adjustments have been made to the TEC spreadsheet routine. Genders are now returned as M, F or O, and 'Service industries' is now corrected to 'Service Industries'
Version 1.10.10 Released 18th May 2015
A number of refinements have been made to the process of auto-completing the TEC Report spreadsheet. You now receive a full report on the submission process and placements beginning in the second half of the year are omtted, along with those students and placements which have faulty information.
Iwi has been added to the student screen so that Maori students may now have their iwi recorded, and this, too, will now go through to the TEC spreadsheet.
Version 1.10.8 Released 20th April 2015
Following discussion with my guru on all things Gateway, we've decided to shange the 'Area of Study' for each placement to one of those from the list now required by the TEC. This will happen automatically when you first run this new update and, where possible, your existing 'Areas of Study' will be replaced by the matching one from the TEC list. It has not been possible to match ALL areas so you will need to visit each placement to ensure that the area of study is specified.
Version 1.10.6 Released 1st April 2015
Following any major upgrade there are bound to be a minor fault or two found and this one was no exception. Hopefully they've all now been found and squashed.
1. The student printing routine was taking you to the new 'Missing standards' screen and not to the print preview screen.
2. Standards imported via the 'Missing standards' screen we showing on the Vocational Pathways list but their results were not being recognised. They are now.
3. The global process to import students' standards from Kamar for a previous year was not displaying the file selection dialogue. We'll, it was, but it was off the screen to the left!!! I've never struck this before but I've been able to solve it.
4. The student's standards displayed on the Vocational Pathways screen are now in numeric order. I don't know why I didn't do this earlier.
There may still be a discrepancy between the standards that this program is showing for Vocational Pathways and what Kamar is showing. I haven't found a cause for this yet but I'll keep working on it. This program is sometimes showing MORE standards than Kamar is, but these have been imported from Kamar. Work that one out!
Version 1.10.3 Released 23rd March 2015
The following notes refer to the latest changes. Can I respectfully and earnestly suggest that you take a minute or two to read them as it may well save phone calls and emails in the following weeks!
It’s under Utilities’ where you’ll see a new button labelled ‘TEC Spreadsheet’. This reveals the following screen.
5. The other changes all relate to Vocational Pathways.
a) You can add the standards manually to the table shown on the left of the screen.
b) You can IMPORT standards from a previous year’s worsfold.csv IF you have access to such a file. If you can find a previous year’s worsfold.csv then rename it to e.g. worsfold2014.csv and put it into your \gw directory. Then you can import from it by clicking on the suitably labelled button at the top of the right hand side of the screen. This will allow you to identify the previous year’s file and ay standards found for the student in question will be imported and will thereafter be available for the Vocational Pathways analysis/display.
The level and credits for each standard are extracted from the database of standards. If found the data will be added to the grid for you. If NOT found then you will have to fill in this information manually.
A third global routine has been added to Utilities / Update data from Kamar. This allows you to identify a previous year’s Kamar export and it will bring in previous year’s standards for ALL recognised students – so that you don’t have to do them one at a time.
Version 1.10.2 Released 11th February 2015
A few changes as a result of feedback about version 1.10.1
1. I've added a new field on each student's screen so that you can identify each student as a Vocational Pathway student (or not). The new field is towards the bottom of the left hand column of student data. As a result of having this field and subsequently identifying your Vocational Pathway students you can, when you go to Print Lists to print the new Vocational Pathways charts, select just the VP students.
2. I believe that I've left the tabs on the student screen out of their correct order, so that, for example, if you click on Courses you get Costs.... darn. Sorry about that.
3. On the explanation page for the new chart I said that, to qualify for a pathway, each student must achieve 60 credits from the recognised standards AND ALSO achieve 20 from the sector related standards. This has been changed to read 60 from the recognised standards AND THIS MUST INCLUDE 20 from the sector related ones. I was easy to misunderstand what I'd written.
Version 1.10.1 Released 6th February 2015
Changes to Gateway for Version 1.10.1
Following the Cate Conference in Tauranga late last year, a number of changes have been made to Gateway to provide information relating to Vocational Pathways.
2. A new tab has been added to the ‘Student’ screen to provide access to the new Vocational Pathways chart.
This chart is based on that designed by the MOE/TEC. It has been modified to include ‘what the student is taking’ so that they can see not only what they have already achieved but also what they will attain if they achieve all of the standards they are taking.
An example of the screen display is shown below.
On the left is a table listing the student’s standards showing to which vocational pathways each contributes. On the right is the new chart.
This chart is sufficiently complex that it requires further explanation and, at the top of the screen, a pale green button provides access to the Explanation Screen, an example of which is shown below.
The student’s standards table is reproduced on the left of this page and, on the right hand side, each aspect of the previous screen in explained in detail. . (It is too small to be read here, but you can view one on a student’s screen.)
Buttons on the viewing screen allow you to print the two pages, including printing them to a pdf file.
3. The ability to print these for ALL students (not just Gateway students) has been added to the Printing Utility. A new button at the bottom of the left hand column of buttons allows you to select those students for whom you wish to print and to then print. These printouts will ONLY go to the PRINTER. They cannot e previewed via this process. You can choose whether or not you wish to include the explanation page for each student.
5. A new list has been added to Predesigned Lists. You can now select the last option on that screen to print Course Lists – i.e. a list of students taking each of your courses.
Please note that, to produce the Vocational Pathways reports, the program requires the information contained in two small files : vps.txt and litnum.txt. These files are included in the download and should be extracted, along with the new update of the program (gw.exe) and the latest standards file (standards.txt), into your \gw directory.
Version 1.9.2 Released 12th September 2014
If you change the code of a standard provider then the coderecorded against all students' standards with this provider will automatically be updated to the new code.
Version 1.9.1 Released 2nd September 2014
1. There is a new main button in the top row labelled 'Instant Progress Report'. This leads you to a screen which provides an instant summary of the numbers of students and the numbers and averages of standards taken and passed and credits taken and passed at the current date. This will be useful for monitoring the average number of credits gained by students during the year.
Version 1.8.20 Released 27th May 2014
1. Three fields (Date withdrawn, Date reported and Outcome) have been added to user-defined lists involving placements.
2. You can now select 'All years' for printing user-defined lists. The program will attempt to extract information from up to six years previous databases.
Version 1.8.18 Released 3rd December 2013
Following the Cate Conference in Queenstown, a new analysis of Vocational Pathways has been added to Pre-designed lists. (Bottom of the left hand column) There are two possibilities - straight numbers or percentages of students on the Gateway database.
The Vocational Pathway has also been added to the individual student printouts.
Version 1.8.16 Released 18th September 2013
One school requested that a new pulldown menu be added to the Placements screen to allow you to indicate to which Vocational Pathways Sector each placement belongs. This information can now be added to each placement. You can also include this information in user-defined lists and documents. As yet there is no analysis of this information, so please feel free to request and particular 'pre-designed list' which will display/analyse the Vocational Pathways data.
Version 1.8.14 Released 16th September 2013
One school requested that the date format e.g. '16 September 2013' be added to document design.
Version 1.8.13 Released 31st July 2013
One school experienced a problem in printing a pdf file. A small change has been made to try to avioid this problem.
Version 1.8.12 Released 19th April 2013
One school asked that the student selector only slide out when it is clicked. This enables the person using it to slide their mouse to a second screen on the left without causing the selector to pop out again. This is switched on and off via a new panel on the bottom right of the Configuration screen.
Version 1.8.11 Released 2nd April 2013
A couple of requests have been received recently and these have now been added to the program. They involve two new sample documents relating to placements.
1. The first is named 'Learning Plan Sample' and generates a document which sets out the learning Plan, Other Assessment Notes and a table of Visits information.
2. The second is named 'Placement Report Sample' and this sets out a table of standards pursued as a part of a placement. This table has a total of credits taken and achieved at the bottom.
Both of these documents make use of entries under the 'Placements' tab on the 'Select a field' utility when designing documents. It is important to remember that, when PRINTING these documents, you should tick the small box on the printing screen which causes a SEPARATE document for EACH PLACEMENT to be generated.
You are encouraged to modify these documents for your own use.
Both documents are now also available on the student screen where placement-specific documents can be printed. They can be selected from the ‘Print a Document’ button then on the left hand side from ‘Select a user-defined document’ list. They have NOT been added to the ‘Forms Completed’ tab – as you will probably rename the report or design another like it for your own use. When printing from the student screen, please remember to be viewing the placement concerned before electing to print the document.
Version 1.8.10 Released 7th February 2013
What was in the version between 1.8.5 and 1.8.9? Since last July several schools have requested very minor changes which I've made for them but not issued as a genral release.
e.g. for version 1.8.10 one school reported that Notes were not printing properly in User-defined Lists. They are now.
Version 1.8.4 Released 23rd July 2012
A couple of changes have been made to fix a couple of faults.
1. When on the Student's courses screen a fault was occurring if you clicked the new button labeled "Ensure that the current student has all of these standards". This has now been fixed.
2. If a student's NSID number began with a leading zero then it was not being recognised in the Utility to 'Update from Kamar'.
Version 1.8.2 Released 29th May 2012
As if often the case, in spite of testing, a few minor annoyances creep in to any new version. Hopefuully this one corrects any that were there in 1.8.1.
Version 1.8.1 Released 20th May 2012
1. Several schools have requested a new standard report component – a list of all standards taken with their results. This has been added as a new document component (It’s the new last entry on the ‘Select a field ‘ / ‘Personal’ list. It is labeled ‘List of all standards’. It results in a grid such as the one below.
2. At the request of one school three fields from the Placement’s ‘Withdrawn’ tab (Employer, Contact and Phone) have been duplicated on the ‘Outcome’ screen.
3. Now, when you attach a logo to a document, the document is automatically saved and the message about ‘the document already existing – do you wish to overwrite?’ has been removed.
4. The word ‘Unit’ has been removed wherever it appears as ‘Unit Standards’ as Gateway may also include achievement standards.
5. A crash which occurred when removing an employer from the list of employers has been fixed.
6. A new item has been added to User-Defined Lists. Under placement-based lists you can now select ‘Goals/Tasks’ and this will result in a list of all of the goals/tasks which hve been set for a student under the Learning Plan area of each placement.
7. A number of minor screen adjustments have been made to improve the ‘grammatical correctness’ of the package.
Version 1.7.17 Released 2nd December 2011
1. One school had a nice idea which is worth passing on to all - if you go to Print Lists / Individual Student forms you will find a new process whereby you can print all of their TEC Gateway results forms in one go.
Version 1.7.16 Released 24th November 2011
1.Two schools reported a problem losing standards attached to students. One reported losing results as well. Course standards will automatically be removed from a student if they are found to already have that standard on another course, as students cannot take the same standard twice. If you enter results on a student then go to another student and then back again then it LOOKS as though thwe results have disappeared - as the course is no longer displayed. This is compounded by a blue highlight on the first course so that it LOOKS as though it is selected. I've now changed all that!
There is now a new button just about the students display of standards attached to a course. Clicking this button will cause any standards NOT attached to the course in question to be removed and all standards which ARE attached to thecourse to be reattached if they are missing.
I'd like to add an auto-update of results (from MUSAC or Kamar) to this process but I haven't done thet yet.
Version 1.7.15 Released 11th November 2011
1. If you wish to print a document for each of the employers then you can now do that. The document design should include only employer details as it will not be printed per student. When you go to print you can now select for either students or
Version 1.7.14 Released 7th November 2011
1. When printing the 'Student standards result summary' you now have the choice of including just those standards attached to the placement selection or of ALL standards achieved by the student in question.
Version 1.7.13 Released 25th August 2011
1. Three new fields have been added to those you can include in user-designed documents. The first is the 'Placement Outcome Code'. The other two are empty tick boxes - one aligned to the left of the page and the other to the right. These enable you to generate placment- or student -specific questionnaires.
Version 1.7.12 Released 31st July 2011
1. A warning to Kamar users about the date of the last worsfold export has been added to the main screen.
2. Latest standards file included.
3. Some improvements to the process of updating standards results from Kamar.
Version 1.7.11 Released 9th April 2011
1. Placement 'Day' has been added to the list of fields which can be included in user defined lists and documents.
Version 1.7.10 Released 21st March 2011
1. A change has been made to the photograph display routine so that photographs are automatically resized to fit the viewer frame. (The actual photograph files are not adjusted - just the display process)
2. A new column has been added to the Pre-designed list for 'Placements and their details' to now include the date and time of the placement.
Version 1.7.9 Released 15th February 2011
1. The same school then reported that achievement standard results where not appearing on other documents either - and I found many places that they were not being reported.
2. The small pull-down menu which appear to the left of the 'employer' selector when adding a NEW placement was not working. It is now, and enables you to select just one area of employer categories from which to choose.
Version 1.7.8 Released 10th February 2011
1. This version includes a minor change for one school - who spotted that achievement standard results were not being counted in the achievement summary.
Version 1.7.7 Released 13th September 2010
1. I recently received a call from the TEC asking that I modify the various TEC forms as several small changes had been made to their forms. These changes have now been made.
2. A fault was discovered in the 'Global Update from MUSAC' process under utilities which caused the program to crash rather than to perform the update. This has also been repaired.
Version 1.7.6 Released 11th August 2010
This is a non-essential update. I've had several requests lately so I've put them together as version 1.7.6.
1. Recently added is the ability to select a photograph file name based on students' names. There are about 20 new possibilities! The last four add the letters 'PC' in front of the numerical codes - which are used by some schools.
2. One school reported that the achievement summary was duplicating standards where a student had been allocated to a course and then removed from it and then added back again and so on. Dulicates are now automatically removed.
3. Under Pre-designed lists the list titled 'Placement Details' (bottom of the left hand side) has now had 'Start date' added to the display.
Version 1.7.5 Released 3rd August 2010
1. I've had several requests lately for the new TEC form titled 'Gateway Unit Results' to be added to the package. It is now there and is the fourth TEC form available for printing once you have selected a student's placement and clicked on the blue 'Forms signed' pullout in the top right hand corner of the student's placement screen. You also have the option whether or not to include the student's results (and other unit details) on this printout. You should elect to NOT include the extra information if you are printing the form for TEC as they do not require the level, the result and the credits gained for each standard.
Please note that this report WILL include any achievement standards taken by the student as a part of the placement (or attached course) concerned.
2 The audit trail, which was added recently, has been expanded to also record when a placement and/or course is added to or removed from a student
3. Once school is using the document design process to produce nice certificates for their students. To do this they wished to be able to include a table of standards and their results for the placement being printed. This can now be done by including, in the document design, the code for 'Units list with results' which is available under 'Placements' when you are selecting a field to include in the document design.
Version 1.7.4 Released 25th July 2010
One school has indicated that they 'lost' students from the gateway database. No other schools have ever reported this and, while I hesitate to suggest that it is 'user error' I can find not other explanation for the deletion of students. One checking the database I found that the students had been removed 'tidily' - i.e. the student along with all placements, courses, unit standard results and course outcomes (all of which are stored in separate places in the database) had all been removed. There is only way in the package where this happens and that is by clicking on the 'Delete this student' button and by typing 'Yes' in response to the warning which follows.
As a result I have added an audit trail to the package which records each time a student is added to or deleted from the database. The contents of this audit trail can be viewed via a new button under 'Utilities'. This will enable the use to see the date and time and name of the person doing the addition or deletion.
Version 1.7.3 Released 18th July 2010
Three minor faults have been reported since the last major upgrade and these have now been repaired. Thy are, or were:
1. The new button to show provider details was sitting in front of one of the popup windows.
2. In user-defined lists - the right-alignment > symbol was not being interpreted.
3. The student's date of withdrawal was not 'sticking' i.e. it was not being saved to the database.
Version 1.7.2 Released 17th June 2010
A number of small faults appeared in version 1.7.1 - as is not uncommon with a major new release. These have now all been repaired.
In addition, under 'Print Lists' / 'Pre-designed lists' / 'Student by student standards summary' (The top one on the right hand cide), the provider and provider code have been added to each of the standards.
Version 1.7.1 Released 8th June 2010
During the twelve gateway seminars held in Greymouth, Nelson and the North Island during May and early June over nine pages of my Gateway book were filled with 91 requests for changes and enhancements. Many were minor screen changes and a few were bugs (three are reported below). A couple didn’t make it through and these are also listed below so that those who made them can snarl at me.
The new download includes the latest file of standards from NZQA.
Of course, it would take a long time to individually attach each student’s photograph, so a bulk method has been provided under Configuration – see below for details. A ‘…’ button near the photograph reveals four further buttons which you can use to resize the photograph frame. Click the ‘…’ button again to hide the resize buttons.
A new category (Learner) has been added to the Drivers License possibilities.
Go to Configuration / Popups and you can now enter details relating to each of the assessors who asses your students’ standards. Each unit standard can now have an ‘Assessor’ attached and there is a new column in each table which allows you to record this. A popup menu of assessors appears when you click in the ‘assessor’ cell on the table. Once an assessor is in place in one of these tables you can view full details of an assessor by right-clicking on their name.
You can now record full contact details for each of your providers. These details are entered either via the usual provider details screen or via Configuration / Popups / Providers. You might well have previously provided some details for providers of courses and these have been kept and attached to the relevant provider.
Once a provider’s details have been entered they can be viewed by right-clicking on the name of the provider in the standards tables.
8. When printing the ‘Student Gateway Enrolment (TEC)’ form you can now elect to have either the employer’s physical or postal address included on the form. This choice can be made via a new frame on the ‘Configuration’ screen.
9. When importing students from either MUSAC or Kamar (or IES or PCSchool)) a new button allows you to import an entire class of students in one go. Click on the button, select the class concerned, and all students in that class will be added to your Gateway database.
10. If you use the ‘Back’ and ‘Next’ buttons at the bottom left of the student screen to move between students then they now leave you one the same page as your were viewing for the student you were previously viewing.
This process, which no longer works following Microsoft’s security enhancements, has been replaced by a full set of instructions. These are the instructions which I have been emailing to those wishing to email me a copy of their database – for diagnostic purposes. Basically, the process involves a) making a copy of the database b) renaming it to a .txt file c) zipping it up and d) emailing it to me. The instructions can be printed out and passed to your IT person if necessary.
4. Import NZQA standards
This process has been sped up by showing only every fiftieth standard.
5. Send emailsThis routine now includes three extra buttons to enable you to send a bulk email to a) all first caregivers with emails, b) all second caregivers with emails, c) all caregivers with emails.
Version 1.6.5 Released 22nd February 2010
1. I accidentally left a test script in the routine which imports students from Kamar. As a result every student's surname on the import list nows appears as 'that. I had not intended for that to happen.
2. In making it possible for course standards to be included on the Enrolment Form, I accidentally stopped all but the first placement standard from appearing. They all appear now.
Version 1.6.4 Released 17th February 2010
1. The Three Month Student Outcome form has been added. This is accessed via a new button under 'Print Lists'. The screen will display ALL students and their placements. The left hand column shows dates of previously submitted placements. Click in blank cells in this column to have today's date entered and only placements with today's date in this column will be printed on the form. You may also fill in missing details in the columns labelled 'Outcome Code' , 'Employer/School/Tertiary', 'Contact person', 'Contact number'.
As you click 'Print form' the form will be generated and any changed details will be saved back to the database.
These new details may also be entered against each students' placements on the 'Withdrawn' tab on their placement screen.
2. I've had several requests to be able to associate one or more courses with a placement - so that units included in associated course(s) are included in the new Student Enrolment Form'. A new pulldown menu has been added on the course screen, beside the course title, to indicate which of the student's placements the course is attached to.
Subsequently, when you print the Student Enrolment Form, any standards attached to these courses will be included along with the placement's standards.
3. A nasty fault in saving placement changes - which was corrupting costs - has been identified and fixed. This was reported by three schools at the end of last year. Everything was fine and costs were saved correctly as they were entered, but the 'Save Placement Changes' button had a fault behind it which was corrupting the data. It has now been found and fixed. Again, my apologies for any inconvenience.
Version 1.6.3 Released 2nd February 2010
A fault preventing students' placement costs from being displayed has been fixedhas been fixed.
Version 1.6.2 Released 2nd February 2010
A fault found in the 'Update from MUSAC' process has been fixed.
Version 1.6.1 Released 27th January 2010
The following enhancements have been made to the program
1. The main enhancement is the inclusion of the three new TEC forms :
a) Go to a particular student and select a placement. Then click on the Blue ‘Forms signed’ tab in the top right hand corner of the screen. The first three entries on this screen allow you to print the new forms.
b) As before, select a student and then a placement for that student. Then click on the ‘Print a document’ button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.
Be aware that some details may NOT be automatically filled in on the form. This relates particularly, of course, to the Amendment form, but also to certain fields on the others.
2. Student ethnicity.
A further new field, required for the completion of the ‘Three Month Student Outcome’ form is the ‘Outcome code’. This may be selected, for each placement, via a new selection popup list on the ‘Outcome’ tab for each placement.
The ‘Three Month Student Outcome’ form will be made available before it is first required early in 2010.
4. Placement Notes
Further, a new tab ‘Notes’ (visible in the illustration above) provides an area where you can record information relating to the placement concerned. e.g. Conversations with the student or the employer.
When printing a user-defined list of employers you may now include either or both of two new fields : ‘Students’ and ‘Placements’. These will cause a list of the students relating to each employer and/or their placements to be included on the list. See the example below wherein names have been hidden by being partially erased.
7. How to install instructions
I've been aware for some time that the instructions on how to download and install an update have detailed one of the two possible appearance of the extraction process. I've no managed to obtain illustrations of the alternative process and these have now been added to the instructions at http://www.worsfoldsoftware.co.nz/WSGWHowtoinstall.html
Version 1.5.4 Released 12th October 2009
Kamar has released a new version of their worsfold export file. This version contains more information relating to each student. A new utility has been added to match that available for MUSAC schools. The new utility is visible now for Kamar schools and allows you to globally update data relating to all standards and to all students. Latest information concerning results and student data can be globally imported from the new file worsfold.csv file.
Version 1.5.3 Released 14th September 2009
A small fault in the display of costs for courses and placements has been repaired. This caused one school to lose the costs which they had entered. (The costs were still there but were not being displayed - so that on saving they disappeared. Woops... all fixed now.
Version 1.5.2 Released 11th September 2009
The following enhancements have been made to the Gateway package.
Personal Details Learning Plan
The fourth, ‘Completed’, is not a ‘Date’ column. It toggles between ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ when you click in it. The other five are all ‘date’ columns. To quickly enter the current date just right-click in the column and the current date will be automatically filled in. If you edit this to another date then this will be then remembered as the ‘current date’ for further right-clicking in other columns.
5. User defined lists.
6. When printing documents for students you can now select more than one document at a time. You must hold down the ‘Cntrl’ key while you select multiple documents.
The process will run through every student checking any standards they are taking against the results held in the MUSAC database. Where results are ‘better’ than those already held they will be updated and the progress reported on the screen. (See example below).
This process will do exactly that. It will run through each student checking their data held in the MUSAC database, updating the Gateway database with the latest information.
Version 1.4.12 Released 9th February 2009
A further small adjustment to the costs import routine in preparation for the Returns. In one further case a particular cost was not being trasnferred correctly.
Version 1.4.11 Released 9th February 2009
The new file of standards from NZQA for 2009 has been released and is a part of this download.
A fault has been found in the routine which accumulates costs from student entries. Some standards were doubling up and being counted twice.
Version 1.4.10 Released 14th January 2009
A minor change for one school
Version 1.4.9 Released 10th December 2008
If you had not done the end-of-year rollover to 2009 the program was throwing you out, saying that it could not find the database. This has been fixed and you will, once again, be able to log on.
Version 1.4.9 Released 10th December 2008
The menu to select another database was not displaying one previous year correctly. It is now.
Version 1.4.8 Released 28th November 2008
Three schools have reported duplication of unit standards in the students Achievement Summary. They all report that it was caused by having a student with the same standards attached to a placement and to a course or to two courses and then deleting one of the duplications. However, the duplicated standards attached to the students were still being reported. This should no longer happen!
Another school noticed that one of the predesigned tables was reporting results for those unit standards attached to placements but not for those attached to courses.
Version 1.4.7 Released 25th November 2008
A fault was found in the TEC returns - where the 'cost details' were overwriting the whole document.
You now have to click on the two blude slides on the placements screen to get them to pop out. Previously they were jumping out at you when you least expected it.
A fault in the process of importing a student from MUSAC has been fixed.
Version 1.4.5 Released 3rd September 2008
A small fault was found when adding loaned items to a student and then saving changes.
A second small fault was found in the process of accumulating student costs to the Configuration summary.
Version 1.4.3 Released 28th August 2008
Following the North Island series of Gateway seminars the following changes have been made to the Gateway package. Over 110 suggestions and requests were recorded during the seminars. A lot of them were things that I spotted which I felt could be nicer but many were excellent enhancements to the package. Not all have been auctioned yet. A very few are still on my list of ‘things to do’. The following are the details of those which require explanation.
Both of these have a gateway logo embedded (rather than my Worsfold one) and you might like to alter the other documents to include the new logo. I’ve included two Gateway logos with this release. One is a coloured one (gwlogocolour.jpg) and the other is black and white (gwlogobw.jpg). Once you’ve installed the update they will be available via your \gw directory.
Expenditure Management (Under Configuration)
Two of the outstanding requests are :
How to generate the Kamar export file
I have received the following instructions from Kamar :
Version 1.3.3 Released 27th July 2008
The following enhancements have been made to the Gateway program since its last major release in February
Accessing the website
A new top-line menu item now provides you with direct access to the Worsfold Software website. This is next to the ‘Select database’ menu item at the top of the main screen. It is intended that this process will be developed further to allow you to install an update more directly in future. The main problem with this to date has been the firewalls in school which (wisely) prevent the unauthorized downloading and installing of programs without IT approval.
- Learning Plan
There is now a second slide on the right hand side of the Placements screen, as shown below.
Once you have finished click on the “Save and Close’ button (or, if you do NOT wish to make the changes then just click on the blue ‘Learning Plan’ strip).
The learning Plan has been added to the list of placement specific documents available via the upper ‘Forms signed’ slide.
On each student’s Notes screen is now a table where you may record the details of items loaned to students. You may record the item, the date loaned, the course or placement with which it is associated, the date returned and the item’s value.
- Date of Birth
This detail has been added to each student’s details screen.
- Second Emergency contact
A second emergency contact has been added to each student’s ‘Medical’ screen. These details may also be included in user-designed documents.
- Placement/course day.
The choice of ‘Various’ has been added to the list of possible days on which a placement or course takes place.
- Dots in Dates
One person asked if they could put full stops instead of slashes in dates as they liked to use the numeric keypad to enter dates. You can now do that and the program will convert them back to slashes for you. So, if you enter e.g. ‘5.7.8’ it will be converted to ‘05/07/2008’.
- Editing students : Back and Next
Two new buttons have been added at the bottom of the student screen to enable you to jump to the previous or next student without having to pull out the student selection slide.
- Emailing students and employers
The two ‘Email’ labels – for the student and for the employer on the placements screen – have been replaced by buttons labeled ‘Email’. Provided that there is an email address specified, you may send an email to either the student or the employer by clicking on this button. You will arrive in your email program – provided that your system provides you with the right to do so.
- Popups are now sorted.
Well, most of them are. The popup lists of employers, courses etc are now automatically resorted into alphabetical order each time you add a new entry.
- Combo Type Ahead
A request has been received to have the Day combo react to key presses so that if you type W then Wednesday will automatically been selected. This functionality has been added to the Day (on the Placements screen) and the Ethnicity (on the Student details screen).
- Entry of Unit Standards results
You can enter results from students’ unit standards via their Placements and Courses screens. You can now also enter the results via the ‘Achievement Summary’ screen, where you can see all of the students standards in one place. You can also add ‘Other outcome’ results via the same screen.
- Student results
These can now include M = Merit. A merit result is permissible for certain unit standards. The program does not have access to which particular units do allow a merit result so it has been made available to all. It will be up to you to ensure that you do not allocate a merit result to a unit standard which does not allow it.
- Expenditure Management
In order to be able to generate the Ministry’s Funding Summary you need a place where you can record the various operating costs of your Gateway program. To do this, a new tab has been added under ‘Configuration’, as shown below. (Yes, the data is very spurious as I’ve simply been using it for testing.)
The information on the right hand side looks really strange but, if you click on any of them then all will be revealed. E.g. the first one appears as :
In other words, each area allows you to enter dates, amounts and descriptions. These are totalled automatically and the figures returned to the previous screen.
At the bottom of the previous screen you can enter the total income received and the total carried forward from the previous year’s operations. All of this information will appear on the printed summary as detailed below.
- Printing individual student documents.
You have three to choose from and you can now ask that they be all printed on one sheet of paper (where possible) rather than on three separate sheets.
- Level 4 unit standards
Woops, I had overlooked those. They are now recognized and reported in the various summaries.
- New list = Forms printed and sent to TEC
A new choice has been added to Pre-designed lists. This one lists each student’s placements and displays whether or not each of the possible forms has been printed and whether or not it has been sent to the TEC.
- The Ministry returns area has now been completed.
Visit the ‘Printing’ area and select ‘MOE Returns’. The following screen will be displayed, via which you can enter details which will appear on the printed report.
Once you have the information entered (or even before, if you cannot wait) click on the ‘Generate Summary’ button and you will see :
There is a button at the top of the screen labeled ‘Email this document to…’. If you click on this button then the following happens. A pdf file of the report is produced (and saved into a new sub directory called ‘\gw\emailled returns’. The program then attempts to attach this document to an email in your email program addressed to email@example.com.
I have recently experienced some problems with this process on my computer which, I suspect, has had the operating system modified by Microsoft to prevent the sending of emails with attachments via other programs. This is a security precaution on their part which prevents us from achieving our intentions. The same process has worked for several years via Worsfold’s other software packages, so it may or may not work for you.
If it fails then you will have to create an email manually and attach the returns file named e.g. ‘Butler College2008.pdf’ in the emailed returns directory off your gateway directory (\gw).
- Printing ‘All units’
When designing your own documents you can now include ‘All units – no results’ and/or ‘All units with results’
- Which students are out today?
When printing pre-designed lists you can now request a list of those students who have placements on a particular date. You might need to include the ‘Include various’ option if you have indicated that a placement occurs on the day : Various’.
- General Notes
One school asked for a ‘General Notes’ area where you could record ‘things to be done’. It there, as a new button under the ‘Utilities’ area. You can record notes and date them and print them.
I’ve removed a couple of faults found by some schools.
You could not delete an assessment from a course. The only way to do it was to delete the entire course and to then re-enter it. However, this left the original assessment still attached to the students and reported on their ‘Achievement summary’. A routine has been added to remove such ‘phantom’ assessments and unit standards.
I do still have several requests on my list which I haven’t included in this round. So, if you’ve made a request which is not yet included, it hasn’t been forgotten. Never-the-less, feel free to remind me just in case it has slipped through the net.
Version 1.2.6 Released 11th June 2008
Briefly, three schools have reported that their program has no text on the labels, making it impossible to know where to click.
Version 1.2.1 Released 20th March 2008
Briefly, three schools have reported that their program has no text on the labels, making it impossible to know where to click.
As a result ALL of the nice new buttons and labels and tickboxes etc have been removed and replaced by the old Microsoft ones. We will continue to investigate the cause of the problem but, in the meantime, this version will work nicely for everyone
The next release will be in June 2008 and will incorporate a number of features requested by those using the package.
Version 1.1.1 Released 15th February 2008
The first version of Gateway was released in Mid-February 2008.
Copyright 2008 (C) Worsfold Software Ltd